Sunday, January 15, 2006

Hangovers

2 days back I was reading an article on the the 155mm FH-77B howitzer, more commonly known in India as 'the' Bofors Gun. More specifically, I was reading about the pounding it inflicted upon enemy positions during the Kargil war. And this morning it seemed that one of those FH-77Bs was going off right near my ears at 2 second intervals.

Opened my eyes too see the world hazy and bright. Trying hard to locate my stupid Nokia which was the true source of those mind bending explosions, I cursed the makers of Botox, my choice of profession, Metallica, Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and all those bands at Turquoise Cottage last night. I stumbled out of bed trying to shake off the cumulative effects of a tankful of Old Monk, Coke, Foster's and Castle Lager that had been downed last night headbanging to the music which my mom says made lose my faith in god.

A hangover is the worst thing you can take with you to work, and woe betide those who end up being in office for the second weekend in a row. It is another matter that I have nothing to do till 1800 this evening and just to keep myself from falling off, I am writing this post. Coming back to hangovers, many people have had many things to say about them :

A certain gentleman known to us only as John commented, "After a night of too much alcohol and spirits, thou must kneel, embrace thy throne, and sacrifice to the Porcelain God."

Another unknown entity had this to say, "
A hangover is the wrath of grapes. " I'd add sugarcane, malt, barley and even wheat to that list.

But no matter how much pounding our head receives in the morning, or no matter how many times we regurgitates our intestines at the sink, we is back on the barstool at the very first chance we get. Though I have not put much thought into the reason behind it, many writers, poets, thinkers, statesmen and other renowned people have said a thing or two about drink.

For example, the famous musician Tom Waits once said,
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy."

An anti-war gentleman believed that we should "Draft beer, not people".

Then there was this man
who was fond of wine was offered some grapes at dessert after dinner. "Much obliged," said he, pushing the plate aside, "I am not accustomed to take my wine in pills."

End of the day I care two hoots where my livery ends up, as long as the liqour ends up in the right place. There is nothing like sitting in a noisy smoky pub with friends downing Old Monk, Coke, Foster's & Castle Lager listening to the music of
Metallica, Led Zepellin, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and all those bands whose music my mom says, made lose my faith in god.

--






No comments: